February 28th, 2017

 Chinese Feminist Group’s Social Media Account Suspended/中国女权组织“女权之声”微博账号被禁言

By: Didi Kirsten Tatlow        Source: New York Times              Date: 22/2/17

23chinafeminists-1-master768

北京——中国一家知名女权组织的主要社交媒体账号被禁言30天。在今年的重要政治会议召开之前,中国女性主义者即将面临又一波压制浪潮。

女权主义者周三表示,女权之声社交媒体账号遭禁声,可能与它发布的一篇有关美国计划在3月8日国际妇女节举行一场女性罢工活动的文章有关。这场活动名为“没有女性的一天”(A Day Without a Woman),正在由上月华盛顿女性大游行活动的组织者进行协调
女权之声成立于2009年,自2010年起一直在中国类似Twitter的社交媒体平台新浪微博上运作。该组织表示,它于周一晚从账号所在平台——媒体巨头新浪——接到通知,称其账号将被禁言。

“你好,由于你近期发布的内容违反了国家相关法律法规,您的账号将被禁言30天,”据女性之声在另一个社交媒体账号上发布的信息,该通知如此写道。

在记者通过电话联系到新浪公关总监陈金国时,他表示并不清楚这个事情的具体细节。

中国女权主义者对这个消息表现出愤怒与沮丧。

“这是对公民社会的攻击,”现居纽约的女性之声创始人之一的吕频在接受电话采访时说。“他们想让我们禁声。”

在一个政治形势日趋紧张的年份里,吕频预测:“这只是个开始。”

“什么?”该组织的微信社交媒体账号上发布的一条信息显示。“令人费解的是,一条对国外妇女运动的报道怎么就违反了中国的法律法规?”

这条信息显示,该组织怀疑账号被关与那篇有关美国计划举行罢工活动的文章有关,因为这是该微博账号最近被审查的唯一一篇帖子。

这条信息后来被删除,但这个微信账号周三下午依然在线。

中国没有出现在3月8日举行女性罢工行动的呼吁,但“罢工”一词在这个国家颇具政治敏感性。政府不鼓励,有时甚至严厉地镇压在国家控制之外的任何聚众活动,包括官方运营的中华全国总工会和中国妇联的活动。

此举也反映出在中国一年一度的人大会召开两周前,安全措施在不断加强。该会议将于3月5日开始,在此期间政府通常会打击在该国遭到审查的媒体上本就有限的政治讨论。今年还将举行中共十九大,届时将做出重大的领导层决策。

一则在社交媒体上传播的信息——援引了一名未透露姓名的新浪工作人员的话——显示,女性权利倡导人士表示,禁言决定来自中国国家互联网信息办公室,据官方媒体报道,该机构可以“指导、协调和监督网上内容的管理”。

目前,女权之声微博账号的信息已经被转移到另外一个微博账号“还女生平等”上。

出现在国际妇女节前夕的针对女权之声的行动,让人想起2015年的事件,当时有五名中国的女权主义者在3月8日前夕因为计划散发传单,提醒人们注意公共交通上的性骚扰行为,而遭到拘捕。

她们被拘押了七周,之后获得保释,获释要求在一年之后才取消。其中一位女士的律师陈进学称,警方当时表示他们还在调查一项针对这五名女性的刑事指控,即“聚众扰乱社会秩序”。

中国政府称它在努力实现男女平等——就像该国宪法中所描述的——并表示在最近几年取得了实质性进展。2015年,习近平曾在纽约申明政府对女性权利的承诺。

BEIJING — The main social media account of a leading feminist organization in China has been taken down for 30 days, and Chinese feminists are bracing for another wave of repression before major political meetings this year.

The closing of the account for the organization, Feminist Voices, may have been linked to an article it posted about a women’s strike planned in the United States on March 8, International Women’s Day, feminists said on Wednesday. The strike, which is being coordinated by the organizers of the Women’s March on Washington last month, is called “A Day Without a Woman.”

Feminist Voices (Nuquan Zhisheng, or 女权之声) was founded in 2009 and has operated on Weibo, a Twitter-like platform in China’s, since 2010. It said it had received notice that it was being shut down late Monday from its host, the media giant Sina.com.

“Hello, because content you recently posted violates national laws and regulations, your account will be banned for 30 days,” the notice said, according to a message Feminist Voice circulated on another social media account.

Reached by telephone, the head of Sina.com’s public relations department, Chen Jinguo, said he did not know the details of the case.

Chinese feminists reacted with anger and dismay to the news.
“This is about attacking civil society,” Lu Pin, a founder of Feminist Voices who lives in New York, said in a telephone interview. “They want to take away our voice.”

“It’s just the beginning,” Ms. Lu predicted, in a politically tense year in China.

“What?” said a message posted on the group’s WeChat social media account. “What’s incomprehensible is a post reporting on a women’s event overseas could be breaking Chinese laws and regulations.”

The message said the group suspected that the post about the planned strike in the United States was behind the shutdown because that was the only one of its Weibo posts to be censored recently.
The message was later deleted, but the Weixin account was still online Wednesday afternoon.

No women’s strike has been called for March 8 in China, but the word “strike” is politically delicate in the country. The government discourages, and sometimes harshly represses, any mass activities outside state control, including at the government-run All-China Federation of Trade Unions and the All-China Women’s Federation.

The move may also reflect a tightening of security two weeks before China’s annual parliamentary meetings, which begin March 5, during which the government traditionally cracks down on the already limited political debate in the country’s censored media. Also, the Communist Party will hold its 19th Central Committee meeting this year, where major leadership decisions are expected.

According to a message circulating on social media that quoted an unidentified person working at Sina.com, women’s rights advocates said the account’s suspension had come from the Cyberspace Administration of the State Internet Information Office, which can “direct, coordinate and supervise online content management,” according to the state news media.

For now, Feminist Voices’ Weibo communications have been transferred to another Weibo account, Fairness for Women.

The action against Feminist Voices shortly before International Women’s Day mirrors events in 2015, when five Chinese feminists were detained on the eve of March 8 for planning to distribute leaflets warning of sexual harassment on public transit.